The man who formerly owned the Alpine Motel Apartments agreed to plead guilty on Friday to reduced charges for a 2019 deadly blaze at the Las Vegas property.

Initially, the owner, Adolfo Orozco-Garcia, was charged with 27 counts. But on Friday, a plea deal was reached between prosecutors and defense attorneys, and was approved by a judge hearing the case.

Under the Alford Doctrine, Orozco-Garcia agreed to plead on two counts of involuntary manslaughter and a charge of wanton disregard of safety resulting in substantial bodily harm or death, according to Las Vegas TV station KLAS.

With an Alford Doctrine plea, the defendant doesn’t enter a guilty plea. But he or she recognizes prosecutors have sufficient evidence for a conviction.

The plea deal comes as prosecutors planned to start a trial next month in the criminal case.

No word so far how long a sentence will be handed down against Orozco-Garcia. Clark County District Court Judge Jacqueline Bluth is scheduled to announce the sentence on June 3.

On Friday, Bluth said in court that each count of involuntary manslaughter could lead to a sentence of between one and four years. She could either sentence him to prison or place him on probation.

Orozco-Garcia has been free since posting $50K bond.

Weeks after the fire, a safety inspection was done, and the building’s owners were cited for code violations, KLAS reported. The owner failed to inspect doors and violated fire codes, the report added. There were no working sprinklers or fire alarms in the building, officials said.

In 2023, a civil court case was settled with the victims. Details weren’t released.

Six Deaths From Fire

During the December 21, 2019 fire, six tenants lost their lives after they were overcome by smoke, according to Clark County Chief Deputy District Attorney John Giordani.

They included: Donald Keith Bennett, 63; Tracy Ann Cihal, 57; Francis Lombardo Jr., 72; Cynthia Mikell, 61; Kerry Marie Odo-Baclaan, 46; and Henry Lawrence Pinc, 70, according to KLAS.

The fire broke out after one of the residents used a stove to heat a room. Flames quickly reached other units and hallways, authorities said.

More Than 50 Became Homeless

The complex was heavily damaged by the flames and smoke.

The fire also injured 13 people and left more than 50 homeless. It’s the deadliest fire in recent memory in Las Vegas.

The three-story motel was located at 9th Street and Ogden Avenue. Orozco-Garcia since sold the 41-unit building. It was renovated and was renamed DLUX Lofts.